ducru beaucaillou (5)-min

10 facts about Beaux Frères

In 1987, Michael Etzel and brother-in-law, famous Robert Parker, purchased a run-down pig farm in Ribbon Ridge and established the basis of The Beaux Frères Vineyard.

While most of the vineyard is planted with different clones of pinot noir, there’s also about 1500 vines of Grenache which are cuttings from Châteauneuf-du-Pape estate Rayas. They are the first Grenache vines in Oregon.

It is located on a farm atop Ribbon Ridge in the Chehalem Valley near Newberg. There are now two vineyards, the 23 acre Beaux Frères Vineyard and the 10 acre upper terrace planted in 2000, which produce around 105 tons a year.

Tall and stately Douglas fir trees cover nearly 50 acres of the farm.

In 1991, one year after the first harvest, a third partner, Robert Roy, joined in as financial support to build the winery.

All the estate is farmed following biodynamic principles.

Michael Etzel uses an old fire truck to water compost heaps destined for the vines, and these heaps need 1000 gallons every couple of weeks to help them compost right.

2017 marked the winery 25th

For years, the Oregon winery Beaux Frères used the Belles Soeurs label for all its non-estate wines. However, since 2005, all of the non-estate wines carry the Beaux Frères label with a subhead: “The Willamette Valley.”

Besides the original Pinot Noir vineyard, the upper hill and others, Beaux Frères produces a Gran Moraine Chardonnay. A rare, White Burgundy-inspired wine.

 

En 1987, Michael Etzel et son beau-frère, le célèbre Robert Parker, ont acheté une ferme porcine à Ribbon Ridge et ont établi la base du vignoble Beaux Frères.

Bien que la plupart des vignes soient plantées avec différents clones de pinot noir, il y a aussi environ 1500 vignes de Grenache qui sont des boutures du domaine Rayas à Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Ce sont les premières vignes de Grenache en Oregon.

Il est situé sur une ferme au sommet de Ribbon Ridge, dans la vallée de Chehalem près de Newberg. Il y a maintenant deux vignobles, le vignoble Beaux Frères de 23 acres et la terrasse supérieure de 10 acres plantée en 2000, qui produisent environ 105 tonnes par an.

De grands et Majestueux sapins de Douglas couvrent près de 50 acres du domaine.

En 1991, un an après la première récolte, un troisième partenaire, Robert Roy, s’est joint à l’équipe comme soutien financier pour construire la cave.

Tout le domaine est cultivé selon les principes biodynamiques.

Michael Etzel utilise un vieux camion de pompier pour arroser les tas de compost destinés aux vignes, et ces tas ont besoin de 1000 gallons toutes les deux semaines pour les aider à composter comme il faut.

2017 a marqué le 25e millésime.

Pendant des années, le vignoble Beaux Frères a utilisé le label Belles Soeurs pour tous ses vins qui ne sont pas du domaine. Cependant, depuis 2005, tous ces vins portent le label Beaux Frères avec un sous-titre: “The Willamette Valley”.

Outre le vignoble de Pinot Noir original, la colline supérieure et les autres, Beaux Frères produit aussi un Chardonnay Grand Moraine. Un vin rare, inspiré de la Bourgogne.

ducru beaucaillou (5)-min

Michele Chiarlo

Michele Chiarlo was founded in 1956 by the original and present owners, Michele and Giuseppina Chiarlo. The estate is quite a traditional one. They only work the classic piedmont style with only the 4 grapes that are the greatest Piedmont native varietals: Nebbiolo, Barbera, Cortese and Moscato. This family estate has 110 hectares of vines, of which 60 are placed between Calamandrana, Barolo and Gavi.

The estate owns many vineyards, Cerequio Estate, Cannubi Vineyard, Asili Vineyard and Cascina Minuto are dedicated to nebbiolo. In 1995, Michele Chiarlo acquired the estate of Azienda Agricola Aluffi in Castelnuovo Calcea, considered to the most beautiful and prestigious property in the heart of the classic Barbera d’Asti zone. The estate is comprised of two separate vineyard holdings, La Court and Il Castello. Barbera is also planted in the Costa delle Monache named after a local ancient convent of nuns and the Montemareto hill, famous for its height.

The fornaci and Rovereto vineyards, a Gavi cru, are planted with Cortese and are used to produce most of the white wines along with the moscato vineyards making the famous Nivole Moscato D’asti.

Michele Chiarlo a été fondée en 1956 par les propriétaires originaux et actuels, Michele et Giuseppina Chiarlo. Le domaine est plutôt traditionnel. Ils ne travaillent que le style classique de piémont avec seulement les 4 raisins qui sont les plus grands cépages indigènes du Piémont: Nebbiolo, Barbera, Cortese et Moscato. Ce domaine familial compte 110 hectares de vignes, dont 60 sont situés entre Calamandrana, Barolo et Gavi.

Le domaine possède de nombreux vignobles, Cerequio Estate, Cannubi Vineyard, Asili Vineyard et Cascina Minuto sont dédiés au nebbiolo. En 1995, Michele Chiarlo a acquis la propriété d’Azienda Agricola Aluffi à Castelnuovo Calcea, considérée comme la propriété la plus belle et prestigieuse au cœur de la zone classique de Barbera d’Asti. Le domaine comprend deux exploitations viticoles distinctes, La Court et Il Castello. Barbera est également planté dans le vignoble Costa delle Monache, nommé d’après un ancien couvent des religieuses et la colline de Montemareto, célèbre pour son altitude.

Les vignobles fornaci et Rovereto, à Gavi, sont plantés avec du Cortese et servent à produire la plupart des vins blancs en plus des vignobles de Moscato faisant le célèbre Nivole Moscato D’asti.

UNESCO

The art park installed in the vineyards, Orme Su La Court is an art walk dedicated to the four elements of earth, air, fire and water designed by the Genovese artist Emanuele Luzzati. It was awarded by Unesco in 2015 as one of the best Italian private project.

There’s also the Palas Cerequio. It is the only 5 star resort in the hearth of a Barolo grand cru and the Cerequio vineyard. With a collection of all the Top producers and its Caveau of 6.000 bottles of Barolo back vintages, it was also awarded by Unesco in 2015 as one of the best Italian private project.

Le parc d’art installé dans les vignobles, Orme Su La Court est une promenade artistique consacrée aux quatre éléments de la terre, de l’air, du feu et de l’eau conçus par l’artiste génovien Emanuele Luzzati. Il a été décerné par l’Unesco en 2015 comme l’un des meilleurs projets privés italiens.

Il y a aussi le Palas Cerequio. C’est le seul établissement 5 étoiles au cœur d’un Grand Cru de Barolo et du vignoble Cerequio. Avec une collection de tous les meilleurs producteurs et son Caveau de 6.000 bouteilles d’anciens millésimes de Barolo, il a également été décerné par l’Unesco en 2015 comme l’un des meilleurs projets privés italiens.

ducru beaucaillou (5)-min

Château de la Grille

Founded in the 15th century, Château de La Grille belonged to Antoine-Jean de Cougny, counsellor to the King, from an old Chinese family, who bought it in 1748. In the 19th century, Marquis Gustave de Cougny, a famous historian and attorney at Chinon began his renovation. Then, between 1951 and 2008, the owner was the Gosset family, Champagne producers. It was them who introduced the special cask design inspired from an 18th century Champagne Bottle.

The homogeneity of the terroir combined with the level of demand and the know-how of Champagne to design remarkable flasks makes Château de la Grille “the exception of Chinon”.

Fondée au 15e siècle, le Château de La Grille appartenait à Antoine-Jean de Cougny, conseiller du roi, qui l’a acheté en 1748 d’une ancienne famille chinoise. Au XIXe siècle, le marquis Gustave de Cougny, célèbre historien et avocat à Chinon a commencé sa rénovation. Puis, entre 1951 et 2008, le propriétaire était la famille Gosset, les producteurs de champagne. Ce sont eux qui ont introduit le design spécial inspiré d’une bouteille de champagne du 18e siècle.

L’homogénéité du terroir combiné avec le niveau de la demande et le savoir-faire de Champagne pour concevoir des flasques remarquables fait du Château de la Grille ” l’exception de Chinon”.

ducru beaucaillou (5)-min

Juvé & Camps

Juvé & Camps is a family-owned winery located in San Sadurní d’Anoia, a small town in the northeastern Penedès region near Barcelona. Founded in 1921 by Joan Juvé Baqués and his wife Teresa Camps Farré, the winery’s three-generation history has resulted in an international reputation for producing top-quality Cava.

Juvé & Camps est un vignoble familial situé à San Sadurní d’Anoia, une petite ville dans le nord-est de Penedès, près de Barcelone. Fondée en 1921 par Joan Juvé Baqués et son épouse Teresa Camps Farré, l’histoire du domaine sur 3 générations a abouti à une réputation internationale pour la production de Cava de qualité supérieure.

XAREL-LO

Juvé & Camps has decided to pay homage to Xarel-lo, the grape that forms the backbone of most Catalan Cava’s, by releasing a sparkling wine crafted exclusively from this variety. Essential Xarel-lo Reserva Brut was crafted using only the “free-run” juice coming from grapes grown in the Espiells and Can Rius estates, both located in Central Penedès and belonging to the Cava DO. Located at an altitude between 185 and 245 meters, the vines grow in soils composed of clay and limestone that are strategically protected from northern climatic influences by the neighboring Montserrat Mountain.

Juvé & Camps a décidé de rendre hommage au Xarel-lo, le raisin qui forme l’épine dorsale de la plupart des Cava catalans, en délivrnat un vin mousseux fabriqué exclusivement à partir de cette variété. Essential Xarel-Lo Reserva Brut a été fabriqué en utilisant uniquement le jus de goutte provenant de raisins cultivés dans les domaines Espiells et Can Rius, tous deux situés dans le centre du Penedès et appartenant au DO Cava. Situé à une altitude entre 185 et 245 mètres, les vignes poussent dans des sols composés d’argile et de calcaire qui sont stratégiquement protégés contre les influences climatiques du nord par la Montagne voisine Montserrat.

ducru beaucaillou (5)-min

Château Coutet

The estate takes its name from the Gascon word for knife, dates all the way back to the 13th century when the English fortress was first built with a square tower which is typical of the military structures of the time. It only became a wine estate in 1643. Previously owned by the Lur-Saluces family, it housed the stables of the Château d’Yquem, Transformed today into cellars. Château Coutet is one of the largest Barsac properties and has been owned by the Baly family since 1977. It was purchased from the Rolland family, the previous owners.

Le domaine tirant son nom du mot gascon pour désigner un couteau, date du 13ème siècle, lorsque la forteresse anglaise a été construite avec une tour carrée typique des structures militaires de l’époque. Il est devenu un domaine viticole en 1643. Appartenant auparavant à la famille Lur-Saluces, il abritait les écuries du Château d’Yquem, transformé aujourd’hui en caves. Château Coutet est l’une des plus grandes propriétés de Barsac et appartient à la famille Baly depuis 1977. Il a été acheté auprès de la famille Rolland, les propriétaires précédents.

CELLARS

The 110 meter cellars of Chateau Coutet are the longest in the entire appellation. It’s one of the most interesting cellars to visit in the Sauternes/ Barsac appellation.

Les caves de 110 mètres de Château Coutet sont les plus longues de toute l’appellation. C’est l’une des caves les plus intéressantes à visiter dans l’appellation Sauternes et Barsac.

ducru beaucaillou (5)-min

Travaglini

Located in the heart of Gattinara, Travaglini was established in the 1920s by Clemente Travaglini. Throughout the years, it has established itself as the most esteemed producer of traditional, limited-production wines. At one time, the wines of Gattinara were more prized than Barolo and Barbaresco. It was Awarded DOCG status in 1990,

Similar to Ghemme, the gattinara wines must comprise 90% Spanna (the local name for Nebbiolo), the rest made up of Bonarda di Gattinara and Vespolina.

A small parcel is dedicated to Vespolina and Uva Rara, two native varieties used in the production of  “Cinzia” wine. In order to achieve the best results, all vines are planted facing south and southwest and trained using the Guyot trellis method.

Situé au cœur de Gattinara, Travaglini a été créé dans les années 1920 par Clemente Travaglini. Au fil des années, il s’est imposé comme le producteur le plus estimé de vins traditionnels, de production limitée. À un certain moment, les vins de Gattinara étaient plus prisés que le Barolo et Barbaresco. Il a obtenu le statut de DOCG en 1990.

Semblable à un Ghemme les vins Gattinara doivent comprendre 90% de Spanna (le nom local de Nebbiolo), le reste est composé de Bonarda di Gattinara et Vespolina.

Une petite parcelle est dédiée au Vespolina et Uva Rara, deux variétés indigènes utilisées dans la production de vin « Cinzia ». Afin d’obtenir les meilleurs résultats, toutes les vignes sont plantées orientées au sud et au sud-ouest et formés en Guyot.

BOTTLES

The travaglini bottles are specially shaped, it is not just to look good. The shape is designed to catch the sediment while pouring the wine. Designed by a glassmaker to celebrate the excellent 1952 vintage, the bottle was so well received that family decided to keep it as their trademark.

Les bouteilles de Travaglini sont spécialement formées et ce n’est pas que pour le look. La forme est conçue pour attraper les sédiments tout en versant le vin. Conçu par un verrier pour célébrer l’excellent millésime 1952, la bouteille a été si bien reçu que la famille a décidé que de la garder comme leur marque de commerce.

ducru beaucaillou (5)-min

Santa Rita

The Santa Rita winery was founded in 1880 by Domingo Fernandez in the same area of Alto Jahuel where its main facilities stand today. From the end of the nineteenth century to mid-1970s, the winery developed under the ownership of the García Huidobro family.

Then in 1980, the Claro group and the Owens Illinois company – the main producer of glass containers in the world – acquired the Santa Rita winery property. Together with this, great technological advances and winemaking techniques were introduced to wine production and in 1985-1986, Santa Rita winery wines began significant export throughout the world.

The winery now has more than 3,000 hectares planted to vine in the country’s most highly esteemed valleys, such as Limarí, Casablanca, Leyda, Maipo, Rapel and Curicó.

La Casa Santa Rita a été fondée en 1880 par Domingo Fernandez dans la même région de Alto Jahuel où se tiennent aujourd’hui ses principales installations. A partir de la fin du XIXe siècle au milieu des années 1970, la casa s’est développée sous la propriété de la famille García Huidobro.

Puis, en 1980, le groupe Claro et la société Owens-Illinois – le principal producteur de récipients en verre dans le monde – a acquis la propriété viticole de Santa Rita. Avec cela, de grandes avancées technologiques et techniques de vinification ont été introduites à la production de vin et en 1985-1986, Santa Rita vins de la cave avait déjà une exportation importante dans le monde.

La Casa a maintenant plus de 3000 hectares plantés de vignes dans les vallées les plus estimés du pays, comme Limarí, Casablanca, Leyda, Maipo, Rapel et Curicó.

CASA REAL

The Casa Real wine is the super-premium estate bottled Cabernet Sauvignon of the winery. It is only produced in great vintages. It aims to put Chilean wine on the same level as any other great wine regions with a search for high standards and quality.

La Casa Real est le super vin de Cabernet Sauvignon embouteillç à la propriété. Il ne se produit que dans les grands millésimes. Il vise à mettre le vin chilien au même niveau que les autres grandes régions viticoles avec une recherche de haut standards et de qualité.

ducru beaucaillou (5)-min

Vigne de l’enfant Jésus

Beaune Grèves is a very large vineyard located just above the city center of Beaune. The total area of Beaune Grèves is 31.33 ha and while it’s quite fragmented there are some very large plots. One is the cadastre number 112, the famous Vigne de L’Enfant Jésus. It is one of the legendary wines of the Beaune, a signature wine from Bouchard Père & Fils.

The name Vigne de L’Enfants Jésus presumably dates back to 1638 when Anne of Austria gave birth to King Louis XIV. It is said that Marguerite du Saint-Sacrement, the founding Carmelite of Domestiques de la famille du Saint Enfant Jesus predicted the birth of the long awaited heir to the French throne. The Queen, Anne of Austria, was 37 when she gave birth to her first child after four stillbirths. To celebrate this new child,  the Carmelite order named its most prominent Beaune vineyard, Vigne de L’Enfant Jésus.

Beaune Grèves est un très grand vignoble situé juste au-dessus du centre-ville de Beaune. La superficie totale de Beaune Grèves est de 31,33 hectares et, bien qu’elle soit assez fragmentée, il existe des parcelles de superficie plus importantes. L’une d’elle est le cadastre numéro 112, la célèbre Vigne de L’Enfant Jésus. C’est l’un des vins légendaires du Beaune, un vin exclusif de Bouchard Père & Fils.

Le nom de Vigne de L’Enfants Jésus date vraisemblablement de 1638 quand Anne d’Autriche a donné naissance au roi Louis XIV. On dit que Marguerite du Saint-Sacrement, la fondatrice des Carmélites des Domestiques de la famille du Saint Enfant Jésus a prédit la naissance de l’héritier attendu du trône français. La Reine, Anne d’Autriche, avait 37 ans quand elle a donné naissance à son premier enfant après quatre fausses couches. Pour célébrer ce nouvel enfant, l’ordre des Carmélites a nommé son vignoble le plus important de Beaune, Vigne de L’Enfant Jésus.

BOUCHARD & FILS

The Vigne de L’Enfant Jésus has been under Bouchard ownership for more than 100 years. Some say that Bouchard acquired the vineyard just after the revolution as bien national but there’s not much proof of such transaction.

Le Vigne de L’Enfant Jésus a été sous la propriété de Bouchard depuis plus de 100 ans. Certains disent que Bouchard a acquis le vignoble juste après la révolution comme bien national mais il n’y a pas beaucoup de preuve d’une telle transaction.

ducru beaucaillou (5)-min

Château Pouget

Château Pouget is one of the very few, 1855 classified Medoc Bordeaux estates without a true chateau. They are located on a small, side street, not far from the tiny village of Margaux. The wine of Chateau Pouget is made in what looks like an old converted house. Or perhaps, it’s a cellar that was partially turned into what seems to resemble an old converted house. It’s hard to say. Interestingly, Chateau Pouget is one of the few 1855 Classified Growths, if not the only classified growths that sell all their wine to one exclusive negociant , the Cordier group.

The estate was created in 1748 when François Antoine Pouget inherited the estate and Margaux vineyards and gave it his family name. His daughter Claire married Pierre-Antoine de Chavailles in 1771. The estate then remained in the family for more than a century through obstacles and successes such as the classification as fourth growth in 1855.

 

Château Pouget est l’un des rares domaines classés en 1855 sans château véritable. Ils sont situés sur une petite rue secondaire, non loin du petit village de Margaux. Le vin de Château Pouget est fait dans ce qui ressemble à une ancienne maison convertie. Ou peut-être, c’est une cave qui a été partiellement transformée en ce qui semble ressembler à une ancienne maison convertie. C’est difficile à dire. Fait intéressant, Château Pouget est l’un des rares crus classés, sinon le seul, qui vend tout leur vin à un négociant exclusif, le groupe Cordier.

Le domaine a été créé en 1748 lorsque François Antoine Pouget a hérité du domaine et des vignobles de Margaux et lui a donné son nom de famille. Sa fille Claire a épousé Pierre-Antoine de Chavailles en 1771. Le domaine est resté dans la famille depuis plus d’un siècle à travers des obstacles et des succès tels que la classification comme quatrième cru classé en 1855.

THE BLASON

The blason as well as the coat of arms was given by the duke of Richelieu who found the potential in the estate quite early.

Love will overwhelm your heart
Your word will be as clear as the rooster’s
Like the Lion you won’t fear the stroke
If with this beverage you fill up your heart

Le blason ainsi que les armoiries ont été attitrés par le duc de Richelieu qui a trouvé un potentiel dans le domaine assez tôt.

L’amour sur ton cœur étendra sa puissance.
Ton verbe sera clair comme le chant du Coq.
A l’égal du Lion tu ne craindras le choc.
Si de cestuy nectar tu te remplis la panse.

ducru beaucaillou (5)-min

Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe

Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe has been run by the Brunier family, for five generations, since 1891. The estate’s vineyards, 60 years old on average, are planted on the celebrated Plateau of La Crau, a site renowned for grape-growing in Châteauneuf-du-Pape. When the estate was founded, only 1 hectare of vines was cultivated with grapes, the remaining land was used for fruit and vegetables. The land was considered unfit for agriculture because of the big stony components and it took a while before realising the potential of the famous pebbles named Galets. The first-ever vintage was bottled in 1900 by the great-grandfather Hippolyte Brunier.

Le Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe est géré par la famille Brunier depuis cinq générations, datant de 1891. Les vignobles du domaine, 60 ans en moyenne, sont plantés sur le célèbre plateau de La Crau, un site connu pour la culture du vignoble à Châteauneuf-du -Pape. Lorsque le domaine a été fondé, seulement 1 hectare de vignes était cultivé, les terres restantes étaient utilisées pour les fruits et légumes. La terre a été considérée comme impropre à l’agriculture en raison des grands composants pierreux et cela pris du temps avant de réaliser le potentiel des célèbres cailloux nommés Galets. Le premier millésime fut mis en bouteille en 1900 par l’arrière-grand-père Hippolyte Brunier.

THE REAL TELEGRAPH

With the vineyard situated at one of the highest points in between Châteauneuf-du-Pape and Bédarrides. Its altitude made it the perfect spot for the communication tower built in 1793 by Claude Chappe to transmit telegraph messages between Marseilles and Paris. The communication tower is now long gone but it remained the theme of the estate. Even the second wine is called télégramme.

Avec le vignoble situé à l’un des points les plus élevés entre Châteauneuf-du-Pape et Bédarrides. Son altitude en fit l’endroit idéal pour la tour de communication construite en 1793 par Claude Chappe pour transmettre des messages télégraphiques entre Marseille et Paris. La tour de communication est maintenant disparue depuis longtemps, mais elle reste le thème du domaine. Même le second vin s’appelle télégramme.